Friday, March 13, 2009

Using PS3 to view MKV with Thai Subtitle

No, the subject is misleading. Actually I found no viable solution for viewing MKV on PS3 properly. Many will thought that I found a way to do this on Linux, but no.

The problem is sound driver. It seems that with latest mplayer-ps combination with spu-medialib, HD MKV can be viewed without any problem. (not to mention that latest mplayer now has improve x264 support + multi-thread decode on ffmpeg!). However, sound driver for any PS3-base Linux support only 2 channels!

The method I am using right now is very simple. I use mkv2vob to translate the MKV file into AVCHD-compatible format on my 80GB USB HDD. mkv2vob also handle size-limit on FAT32 by separating file into small pieces. The only problem lies in subtitle. I want the thai subtitle to be displayed on PS3!

The solution is to use SSA sub, with Thai font specified in SSA, and then use mkv2vob with "load subtitle file" enabled!. I tested this with Eagle Eye and it worked well! Thai subtitle displayed correctly on my TV screen!

The only problem is that movie screen is not in the middle of my TV. I saw on some forum said that this was because the size of original MKV file is not exact 720p or 1080p. Anyway it is a very minor point, at the least we have lots of space for subtitle.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you need to modify the .ssa first? Or have special fonts installed?

I have tried this, but most of the characters in the subtitles are displayed are displayed as underscores.

If I play the movie with VLC it displays the subtitles correctly though.

somsak_sr said...

I found no 100% solution for this, so now I switch over to use picture-base sub instead.

But if you can read it in VLC, but not in PS3, then you have trouble with mkv2vob or tsMuxer font definition. You will also have to change the language in Font dialog while selecting font.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Right. I did change the language to Thai, but no luck.

Not sure what you mean with the tsMuxer though? Is that part of mkv2vob?

somsak_sr said...

It's another application.

Can you read Thai? Actually I wrote another almost 100% workable solution but it's all in Thai. It's at http://somsaks.blogspot.com/2010/01/complete-guide-convert-hd-mkv-ps3.html

Unknown said...

I can read Thai a bit, but reading a post like that will take me all day... literally :)